Palin Seen As Not Understanding Complex Issues In New Poll

A Washington Post-ABC News poll has some unfavorable news for Sarah Palin. The poll found that “53 percent of Americans view Palin negatively and 40 percent see her in positive terms.” This is her lowest approval rating in this poll. A politician might be able to recover from poor numbers if it is over matters of opinion where they can win over voters, or over vague matters of image. More seriously for Palin, she is not seen as understanding complex problems:

Perhaps more vexing for Palin’s national political aspirations, however, is that 57 percent of Americans say she does not understand complex issues, while 37 percent think she does, a nine-percentage-point drop from a poll conducted in September just before her debate with now-Vice President Biden. The biggest decline on the question came among Republicans, nearly four in 10 of whom now say she does not understand complex issues. That figure is 70 percent among Democrats and 58 percent among independents.

Even her base among the religious right is beginning to erode. The poll found that, “while Palin’s most avid following is still among white evangelical Protestants, a core GOP constituency, and conservatives, far fewer in these groups have ‘strongly favorable’ opinions of her than did so last fall.”

Palin is also losing her advantages in being seen as empathetic:

As a vice presidential candidate, Palin was seen as an empathetic figure, but the new poll shows Americans split on whether she understands the problems of people like themselves. By contrast, nearly two-thirds think Obama is in touch with the problems they face.

Leslie Parsley says:

I’ve watched Palin and her effect on the American public, especially men, since she came before us. I’m baffled by the appeal of someone so ignorant and shallow. I’m glad her polls are falling but I’m curious as to why it has taken so long.

Fritz says:

A good looking woman who shoots accurately makes the male heart soar.

Leslie Parsley says:

Why Fritz. I would have thought men would have been looking for other attributes. No telling where she might aim her sights.
    A woman out here in Ten-uh-see shot her ex-husband in the groin. According to the detective  she had written in her diary that she needed to create “portals of exit” for demonic spirits.

Fritz says:

Tennessee is definitely special.  The guy should have known to not get within shootin’ distance of an ex.

nomoreGOP says:

“especially men..”

Lets not generalize too much here Leslie.

I think I speak for quite a few males when I say that Sarah Palin is a representation of just about everything that is wrong with America today.. Sure, she might be popular in the southern, white, evangelical, conservative arena.. but thats about it..

Leslie Parsley says:

nomoreGOP:  I think I’m referring to “the men who followed her” as opposed to men in general. I guess I should have worded that better. But you’re partially right about one thing – her popularity in the South. I don’t think it was just us local yokums, though. She had appeal pretty much across the board among the righteous right. They’re not all gathered here – altho sometimes I think they are. Think about those hideous people from Kansas who demonstrated at Cronkite’s funeral. These are the same nuts who demonstrated at Matthew Shepard’s funeral after his brutal murder in Wyoming.

Fritz says:

Leslie — that’s the Phelps crew.  Everyone hates them.  Conservatives hate them also.  I sometimes (not often enough — I keep having this work stuff getting in the way) ride with the Patriot Guard Riders — and one of the reasons they formed was when the Phelps crew started picketing military funerals and families needed someone to be a buffer.

Leslie Parsley says:

When you said “ride” I immediately thought horses. Then I looked up your group and saw motorcycles. Nearly got killed on one of those – nearly got killed on horses as well. My doc said if I got on either one again, he’d fire me.

I like the Patriot Riders’ mission and what they do, especially shielding the grieving family members.  It doesn’t take a shrink to see these folks are certifiably nuts. But the harm and hurt they do is so sick.

While I was actively against the Vietnam war, I could never bring myself to criticize or demonstrate against the troops. I’m sure they didn’t want to be there but felt duty calling. To come back from an unpopular war and being met with demonstrators was, imo, as cruel as the Phelps family.

Are you going to Utah (love the place) and then to Sturgis? You could take Palin with you ; )

Fritz says:

Never done Sturgis.  Besides, I ride a Beemer not a Hog.  🙂  The Patriot Guard people are straight-up folk.  Maybe a bit more Republicans than you are used to, but good people.

Being in the flag line when the Patriot Guard are invited to a funeral is intensely moving.

Eclectic Radical says:

“While I was actively against the Vietnam war, I could never bring myself to criticize or demonstrate against the troops.”

I was a bit late for that one, but I agree completely. Demonstrating against ‘the troops’ and demonstrating against ‘the war’ are totally different propositions. I understand the desire to make one’s point, and I have stood up for protesters in the past and surely will again, but some people are just nutjobs who need a smacking.

Leslie Parsley says:

There are nutjobs everywhere. Just look at Palin- which is the starting point for this thread. Obviously I don’t like her – just look at my blog – but going around “smacking” her or any other alleged nutcase is not the answer.

Example: a study found that  in the 60s the organizers of the demonstrations and the speech makers were largely bipolar. This did not include the people on the fringes or in the crowds. Being bipolar myself I guess I could be considered nuts but just try to smack me.

Now can we get back to Palin?

Eclectic Radical says:

Well, I’d say a lot of us have ‘smacked’ Palin in one way or another, in our own methods and manners. I’ve mostly refrained from it because I’ve always felt that she is a member of the ‘any publicity is good publicity club’ along with Anne Coulter, Rush Limbaugh, Don Imus, Howard Stern, and Paris Hilton. So I’ve tried to ignore her as much as possible.

Though I mostly try to cut Meghan McCain some slack, she and Palin have one big thing in common: they were both elevated to national podiums by events not entirely subject to their own control despite being less than completely equipped to occupy such a role. While Meghan has gone out of her way to make some accurate criticisms of the righteous right, she’s also said some pretty silly things as well. Sarah Palin is both much less obviously suited to national prominence and much more potentially dangerous.

I don’t take her seriously as a presidential candidate. All the defense of her by the righteous right aside, she is a fringe candidate even by the standards of the religious right and she is plagued by scandal after scandal. Her staunchest defenders cannot simply make it all go away or make her more qualified or convince the majority of the country she has learned anything of serious value. There may be an anti-intellectual strain in American culture to which she appeals, but the majority of Americans (even if they distrust geniuses) hope their president reads a newspaper, magazine, or news website from time to time and is somewhat aware of current world events.

Much of her staunchest quasi-serious support (the support on which she would have to depend for traction) is destined to dissolve anyway. The hardcore PUMAs and the Tammy Bruce Republicans are going to find that the Republican Party has no genuine interest in real feminist issues at all and that GOP championship of women is like GOP championship of minorities: all who fit our income bracket and agree with us, or know their place are welcome. No one else need apply.

Leslie Parsley says:

I think I may have over reacted a bit but I don’t accept comments like yours even when made in jest.  As much as I dislike SP, it’s not her fault that she wasn’t born with a full deck and it isn’t her fault that she may possess some psychological baggage. It’s not even her fault that she wasn’t bright enough to realize what she was getting into, thus becoming the target of criticism and ridicule. It’s not my fault that I was born with – horrors – bipolar just as it’s not my fault that I have diabetes.
    Like Polish jokes, it’s okay for me to tell them if I’m Polish but I don’t want to hear them from people who ain’t.

Eclectic Radical says:

I apologize, then, for any offense. I have a few issues with Borderline Personality Disorder, myself, and was not trying to make fun of people with mental health issues.  I’ll find another word in the future.

Leslie Parsley says:

Like I said I may have over-reacted. Too sensitive. At least in the case of bipolar, the media – news and entertainment – so badly misrepresent this condition. I don’t go around droolling, hearing voices, talking to myself (talk to my dog as a cover), nor do I get violent or go postal. I do get verbal, and I do get manic as  hell and start 25 projects which don’t get finished when the inevitable depression follows.

It can be a blessing or a curse and it effects more people than most of us realize. Many people go undiagnosed because they are in such denial that they don’t seek treatment. My ex was bipolar but blue-blood Virginians don’t have such conditions. Cancer, yes, but not mood disorders.

Anyway, let’s just put this behind us – lest anyone think I’m going to start foaming at the mouth. Once I get a following of more than two, I may do an info article on my blog.

Eclectic Radical says:

I am far more likely to foam at the mouth… I’m the rabid leftist. 🙂