Houskeeping Note: New Theme

I’ve figured out the problem which was causing most themes to cause serious problems earlier in the week and am now trying out some new themes. The one used at present appears promising. I’ll give it a try today and see how people like it before deciding whether to stick with it or try some others.

Update: I’ve made a number of minor adjustments to the theme. The most significant was to change the font of block quotes. The original theme uses a light blue font. While This matches the theme better, I thought that it was difficult to read when I tested this on a lower resolution monitor. I’ve changed it to a slighter lighter gray than the main blog text which should be more readable. I’m also thinking of changing from a box around the whole blockquote to a line on the left. (I’ll have to dig up some style sheets from other themes to see how they do this, having very limited knowledge of how these things are coded).

On further update, I’ve changed the font in the blockquotes to match the main blog post text (except very slightly lighter) and went to a blue shaded area to match the blog theme instead of putting the blockquotes in box. (Actually it is still a box, but I think that shading in the box gives an entirely different look than having a box around the text). I’ve also shrunk the giant numbers in the comments among other tweaks.

There’s one thing I’d like to do but have no idea how. The old theme had the little boxes in the “Blog Stuff” area on top of each other. This theme has space between each. Anyone have any suggestions as to eliminating that empty space? Maybe I’ll be able to figure it out by comparing the style sheets in the two themes.

Leslie Parsley says:

I think it looks a lot better – much more readable. As for those little boxes, I’ve wondered about that myself. In this case it’s definitely wasted space and can have the effect of making a short list into one that goes on forever.

As the previous theme did’t have all that space I know it can be done. The question is whether I can figure out which particular setting controls that, and (assuming I figure out which it is) whether I can safely change it without messing up other things.

There is one other problem with customizing the theme. There have been several upgrades to this one and, assuming there are more, I would lose all my customization with installation of any upgrades. Therefore I’m trying to limit customization  to a handful of commands which I could repeat after any upgrades to the theme.

Pross says:

Fixed your css issue 🙂
    check out my post:
    <a href=”http://www.pross.org.uk/455/garland-1-2.html#comment-9694″>here</a>
    I like what you have done to the quote box, i may add this to the theme later!

less is more says:

If  you still have a problem with whatever the hell you want to do,
    I live in a third world country and can get an expert college professor in this sort of thing to tell you how to do it.  He costs me $5 per hour, simply because he’s worth ten times that to me, but I don’t want him to develope an expensive lifestyle as I am nearing my end.  Be happy to have him help you at my expense.  Drop me a note if this is of any help.
    PS that double line drop on return really pisses me off.

It looks like the main problem is solved thanks to the developer of the theme, but thanks for the offer. I don’t know what you are referring to by “double line drop on return.”

Leslie Parsley says:

I could be wrong, but would double line drop just be another wy of saying double space? nyway, it all looks very good – and I wish I could get the single space as well.

The default spacing is at 170%. I have reduced it for the sidebars and might reduce it for the main text.

Pross says:

Do you guys mean the line-spacing inside this editor?
    If so Ron, here is the code to fix it 😉

body.mceContentBody p {
    margin: 0 0 0 0 !important;
    }
    Just put it in the usual place!
    It seems to be the default for tinyMCE dunno why as it looks wierd…