Former Clinton Adviser Predicts Bernie Sanders Will Beat Hillary Clinton

Bernie Sanders TV Clip

Bill Curry, a former counselor to Bill Clinton, predicts that,Hillary Clinton is going to lose: She doesn’t even see the frustrated progressive wave that will nominate Bernie Sanders. He initially looked at how Clinton avoided answering questions about her position on TPP, but then looked at her overall campaign. Besides economics, Curry discussed another major weakness for Clinton: “She’s weakest on the sleeper issue of 2016: public corruption and the general debasement of politics and government.”

I don’t think she can enlist Wall Street oligarchs and recruit an army of dewy-eyed volunteers. Above all, I don’t think she can spout populist rhetoric without any policy specifics to back it up. Clinton insiders also ingratiate themselves to reporters by dishing about her need to seem more authentic. Someone should tell them it’s hard to seem real when you won’t tell people what you really think.

A bigger problem for Clinton may be that we know what she thinks. Her platform is like Obama’s trade deal; she won’t say what’s in it, but we can easily guess. It isn’t populism and it isn’t reform. The TPP? She never met a trade deal she didn’t like. The minimum wage? She and Obama let McDonald’s get the drop on them. The surveillance state? Her handling of her emails told us all we need to know of her views on transparency. More war in Iraq? For 12 years as a senator and secretary of state she was John McCain’s best friend. If she gets to be commander in chief, get ready to rumble.

She’s weakest on the sleeper issue of 2016: public corruption and the general debasement of politics and government. Voter disgust is so deep even consultants who make their real livings off corporate clients tell their political clients to talk about it. In her speech Clinton vowed to “wage and win four fights for you.” The first three were jobs, families and national security. The fourth was “reforming our government and revitalizing our democracy.” She vowed to overturn Citizens United and fight GOP efforts to disenfranchise the young, the poor and people of color, but then drifted off onto technology and cutting waste. Unlike nearly every Republican announcing for president, she never mentioned ethics or corruption.

Democratic elites don’t want to hear it but Hillary Clinton’s in trouble. It isn’t in all the data yet though you can find it if you look. In a straw poll taken in early June at a Wisconsin Democratic convention she edged out Bernie Sanders by just 8 points, 49% to 41%. In a poll of N.H. primary voters this week she beat Sanders by 41% to 31%. An Ohio poll had her in a dead heat with the likes of Ted Cruz and Rand Paul. If Sanders can poll 40% in a Wisconsin straw poll in June he can do it an Iowa caucus in January. Imagine a Hillary Clinton who just lost Iowa and New Hampshire to Bernie Sanders. It’s still hard to picture but it gets easier every day.

You don’t win your next race running someone else’s last one. Trying to do so, Clinton repeats her big mistake of 2008: not sensing the times. There are smaller changes she can make right now: hire better speech writers, including at least one with a sense of humor; put her family foundation under independent management; tell her husband to stop giving speeches or else start talking for free. But her whole campaign model is wrong. ‘Clinton Democrats’ hate to admit there are issues you can’t finesse or that they must ever choose between the middle class and the donor class. Clinton better figure it out now. When the data’s all in it will be too late.

Clinton resists change. Meanwhile, Bernie Sanders is the only candidate in either party who seems to feel the tectonic plates of our politics shifting, perhaps because he’s expected the change for so long. His is still an improbable candidacy, but less improbable than it was a month or even a week ago. If he clears out the second tier, his battle with Hillary could become epic, forcing not just her but the Democratic Party to choose between the middle class and the donor class; between corporate and democratic rule; the battle over trade carried over into a presidential election.

While Clinton is weak on both economics and government transparency, she has additional weaknesses when facing Democratic voters. This includes how she helped George Bush lie the country into the Iraq war with false claims that Saddam had connections to al Qaeda, her continued push for increased military intervention as Secretary of State, and her conservative positions on civil liberties, the environment, and social issues. I hope Curry is right that Clinton can be beaten in Iowa and New Hampshire despite her tremendous lead in the polls.

Addendum April 2016
There is once again a large amount of traffic from Facebook to this post, which is unusual for a post this old. It must be due to a large group adding a recent link. Could someone tell me where they saw this link in the comments? Plus as this post is several months old, please check out the more recent posts on Bernie Sanders and Hillary Clinton.  Some recommended posts below:

Related Posts:
Sanders’ Views Becoming More Mainstream Than Clinton’s Conservative Views
Bernie Sanders Contrasts His Views With Those Of Hillary Clinton
What Bernie Sanders Believes
Hillary Clinton Gets Her Do-Over But Liberals Desire Someone Better
Red Dawn In Vermont? The Real Results Of Bernie Sanders As Mayor
Bernie Sanders Answers Questions And NBC Advises Not To Count Him Out
Former Clinton Adviser Chastises Hillary For Her Smear Campaign Against Sanders
The Vast Ideological Gap Between Hillary Clinton and Supporters of Bernie Sanders
Why Millenials, And Older Liberals, Support Sanders Over Clintonm
No More Clintons: Thomas Frank & Howard Zinn Expose Bill Clinton’s Conservative Record
Clinton’s Latest Deceitful Statement: “I am so sick of the Sanders campaign lying about me.”
Mainstream Media Gangs Up On Bernie With False Claims Of Botched Interview

Victor Tiffany says:

We launched a New American Revolution this morning, and I could not help but provide a link to this piece from our site. We're going to use leverage to help Sanders beat Clinton and become the nominee.

Lori Miller says:

We need BERNIE SANDERS for President! He is the ONLY candidate who will work for the middle class! Please sign and share my petition to help him win the Democratic nomination over Hillary Clinton!  https://www.change.org/p/democratic-national-committee-debbie-wasserman-schultz-give-senator-bernie-sanders-a-fair-chance-by-increasing-number-of-sanctioned-debates

David Duff says:

Oh yes, please, I mean, 'pur-lease', get 'Socialist' Sanders on the ticket!

That should guarantee a Republican win in 2016 even with the collection of deadbeats they are offering.

I far more fear that Hillary Clinton’s campaign will blow up by November 2016.

If Sanders can beat Clinton–which is a big if despite the prediction quoted above–he would make a much more formidable candidate.

It is also quite possible that his role might be to demonstrate liberal opposition to a candidate as conservative as Clinton, opening up the door to additional candidates.

David Duff says:

Yaaaaawn!

Maybe it is boring you, but I believe that this is the first time that a post has exceeding 1000 Facebook likes.

Baruch says:

Hillary is toast, she just hasn't realized yet.  Seems to me that people are tired of business as usual, do not want political dynastic families, but most of all I don't know anyone who trusts Hillary Clinton to be anything other than another corporate (oil, pharma, weapons, biotech) whore.  I think we've had enough of that!  Obama has been a disaster, Bush before him a disaster, and if Clinton were president we can expect just more disaster. Enough already!

Bernie is whooping Hillarys butt, she just hasn't figured it out yet because she is so self absorbed, so filled with her own sense of entitlement…no thanks.  Retire, go home to Long Island and stop screwing with the world.

David Duff says:

No, no, not you, Ron, it was Ms. Miller's bit of agit-prop repeated twice that had me yawning.  Now I see that her second entry has been removed – so I've stopped yawning!

I see. Yes, I removed the second comment as it was just a copy of the first. While I sympathize with her goal of having more than six debates, pasting the exact same comment on the same post more than once is overkill.

Almost to two thousand Facebook likes. Anyone know how I can edit Sociable so that the K after the number is clearer. It needs a little more room.

Update: Now over 12,000 likes on Facebook

JimZ says:

I know nothing about politics, but my gut says that Bernie is riding a wave to the nomination.  Could be wrong.  I don't so much care which of these two candidates get nominated (they both seem to have their merits and are certainly very different people) as I do want a Dem in the WH on January 20, 2017.  I share Ron's concern that "Hillary Clinton’s campaign will blow up by November 2016," but can't visualize what that looks like.

Silvio says:

Just remember Ron, if an African American guy named Barrak Hussein Obama who about half the country believed was Muslim can be elected twice, I would not write off Sander's chances. If he wins and picks a good running mate that will balance the ticket I would say his chances are quite good. The socialist label, republicans say that about Obama and he is anything but. I am no Obama fan. I voted for him the first time and Green in 2012. I am an independent progressive and I can tell you people are hungry for change even if you can see it.

Silvio,

I have said essentially the same thing re Obama in a previous post. What do Republicans do after they attacked Obama as a socialist, and the economy has been doing better? Now if they refer to Sanders as a socialist, low information voters (the type who listen to Republicans) won't necessarily see any difference. Besides, Sanders is far closer to a European style social democrat than a Marxist (as they have claimed Obama is).

Besides, Sanders doesn't look so scary after looking at what he did in Vermont:

When Sanders was initially talking about running I was initially skeptical as to whether he had any chance. As I've both seen him and seen the excitement his campaign has generated, I would no longer write him off.

Jean Valjean says:

David, your non-intelligent one answer of Bernie being a socialist is right out of the book of Fox-news.  Bernie Sanders has the record to back him up A gold CD. I voted for her in the last primary before I saw all the skips and GOUGES in her record. Bernie was awarded the VFW medal of Honor, helped make Burlington the first 100% solar powered city. He has pushed for the same progressive reforms, with new ideas and has not waivered. He has not voted straight party, but his reasons for voting yea or nay are common sense if you read them.

Hillary had Goldman Sachs and her latest addition of the Lobbyist from Monsanto as her advisor does not impress me. It also does not impress me that she dropped the ball on trying to reform healthcare when the Healthcare industry started to line her coffers. She tried to pull Elizabeth Warren to her side with a position offer that Elizabeth turned down. She has some interesting weapons deals to account for and she is surrounded by Supper Pacs.  She supported TPP at least in 10 different international conversations, but didn't speak out against it till the last minute. Bernie has been against it for a long time.

Bernie doesn't have the mainstream media bought by the Koch's and Bradley's and other Billionaires. but he is received by the people in throngs. He doesn't have a supper pac, but a planned meeting of 50 people has to change 4 or 5 times to fit the 4,000 plus that come to see him in towns though out the country. Bill Maher, Lewis Black, John Steward our guys are behind him. His own old opponents in Vermont support him and are helping his campaign. People from both sides of the aisle to join him. Sorry but Hillary does not have this appeal and her record is not impressive compared to Bernie's!

Bernie is supported by peole

Jean Valjean says:

Her own old advisor sees the hand-writing and says she is out of touch!

Jean,

David is a conservative so he is not going to be influenced by arguments in favor of Sanders.

Conservatives rooting for Sanders, thinking he is more beatable, remind me of Carter aides who were  happy when Ronald Reagan won the Republican nomination, thinking he would be easy to beat.

NIKHILANANDA says:

Nikhilananda Ni ALOHA: …. Bernie Sanders For President 2016 may be "… in either [wall-street/corporate controlled major political] party who…. "… however, pastGreen Party of the United States candidates for POTUS, e.g. Ralph Nader,David CobbCynthia McKinney and the current candidate Jill Stein For President 2016 have known and "felt" this for years….. ;o}

Bill Smith2 says:

GOOD!! If the election is going to the DEMOs, let them put up the farthest left they can find.. If there's someone farther left than Obama or Hillary, put them in there.. Enough of this moderate liberalism pitter-patter nonsense.. Give someone a chance to show the people what an all out, full-blown, socialist leftist would do for to the country.. We've been heading in that direction for decades now anyway, either with RINO politicians we did elect or the ones that had the (D) next to their names.. Why sneak there slowly?? Let's just do it!!

You might be surprised as to how many people find his views preferable to the conservative establishment views of most candidates. Promoting the middle class and creating a better business environment, supporting individual liberties, and avoiding senseless wars is far preferable to a system rigged to transfer the wealth to the top one tenth of one percent and remaining at war indefinitely.

Conservatives who want Democrats to nominate Sanders because they think he would be easier to beat sound like the Carter people who were happy when Ronald Reagan won the Republican nomination.

Avedon says:

69-90% of the country is to the left of Obama and Clinton on most economic issues, so conservatives who think these neoliberals are left-wing – or even very liberal – really aren't paying attention..

I don't think any Republican has a chance against Sanders.

Mike Hatcher says:

How did you come up with that 69-90%?  In 2012 Obama got 51% of the vote and Romney 47%.  Where there that many voters to the left of Obama voting for Romney? Or perhaps has there been a big shift in the last 3 years in voters economic opinions?

I’m not saying that this many people are to the left of Obama on economic issues, but the election results aren’t necessarily a measure of this. Polls on specific issues do show far more people agreeing with Democratic policies (or sometimes being more liberal) than actually vote Democratic. Voting behavior is based upon many factors beyond agreeing with the candidates on the issues, with many voters not being very clear as to where the candidates actually stand on the issues.

Matthew O'Keefe says:

I honestly don't think her heart is in the election.  She is not even trying.  People are driving hundreds of miles to be at any event that he is going to speak at.  His venues have to expand in every city he visits.  Bernie is the only Dem talking and I know of several Republicans that actually love him.  It will be Bernie as the nominee.  I'm curious who he will pick for the VP slot.  My first thought was Warren but I ruled that out almost instantly.  Maybe Grayson of Florida?  That is the next big guess.

Loved the post my friend.

Gale says:

Per your request.  Americans for Bernie 2016 page on facebook.

Cindy Mello says:

he article has shown up on my FB page a few times. Someone posted from here; ‎Bernie Sanders Social Media Storms – Stand With Bernie

Thank you. Looking around Facebook I’m finding that some other groups have also posted this recently, with many individuals also sharing, and in tern having friends share.

Mike says:

We found the link on Facebook, where support for Bernie is steamrolling. People are trading ideas, making plans, sharing news about Bernie's platform, his surge, his growing popularity and his virtual absence from big media. Btw, I looked at tens of millions of tweets and Bernie is the front runner of the left in terms of sentiment.

Sanders leads social sentiment for 2016 Presidential race

I know it is from Facebook. I can track source, but links from any group on Facebook just show up as Facebook.

There was originally a lot of hits to the post from Facebook, and then hits trickled in afterwards. Suddenly they jumped up again due to one or more people linking again.

I wasn't even aware of that one. It looks like a case of one or more people reposting links in the last couple of days and this led to more and more people either posting in other groups and/or sharing it.

Michele says:

I found it on Bernie Sanders 2016-Ideas Welcome on Facebook. His social media presence is growing daily. I bet there are close to a dozen FB pages for Bernie just in SC.

Mari H says:

I got the link to your article from a post in the Facebook group, "Bernie Sanders for President 2016."

The_Evil_Dr_R says:

Yes, just saw this on FB’s https://www.facebook.com/groups/BernieSandersAdmirers/

Been watching Thom Hartmann’s “Brunch With Bernie” since well before he announced and frankly, I’m astounded at how well his message is resonating with people. He doesn’t have the instant recognition Hillary has, so we’re having to get his ideas out in front of people. But once they hear the message…
    Hillary is little more than Republican Lite, as far as I’m concerned. We need a real change in this country before it’s a damn dictatorship.

No You says:

Found this from a random twitter link.   BTW polls are looking much better for Bernie now.  Check these trends to see where the race is headed http://elections.huffingtonpost.com/pollster#2016-races

cathy little brave says:

have seen this article several times before – have shared it myselrf on my Texas for Bernie Sanders for Persident in 2016 group and on my personal page.  I got it again on my feedpage this morning from FB Bernie Sanders For President group page.

RitaRose says:

Saw this link in Facebook — where the real stats are, and where we can get news about Bernie Sanders that mainstream media is loathe to show.  So a former Clinton adviser now thinks Bernie can beat Hillary?  We knew it all along.

Ms Boyer says:

Linked from Washington State Progressive Caucus on fb.

No You,

I’ve also discussed how Sanders has improved in the polls in more recent posts. Note that this post is from June. Sanders’ success since then has been remarkable.

Brian says:

Good article. I saw it on California for Bernie Sanders Facebook page.

I just hope that some of the people coming for this post will look around at some of the other posts on this topic, and return for future posts.

Clare says:

I found this link on a "Los Angeles for Bernie Volunteers" facebook page.

Phili Norris says:

Per your request on FB pages showing this I see a couple of other I belong to listed but it is also in Optimists for Bernie, vote Dem Bernie Sanders and Ohio for Bernie Sanders. Pretty much on EVERY BERNIE page I belong to.

BTW GREAT ARTICLE!!!!!!

Judy says:

I saw it at "Women for Bernie Sanders 2016" on FB.

Carrie Marc says:

Great article thank you. I found this on Women for Bernie Sanders Group posted by another member.  https://www.facebook.com/groups/666514810148980/ I am a Bernie Sanders supporter.

Richard Bell says:

Anyone who takes today's polls very seriously in terms of forecasting the outcome of the Democratic primary is demonstrating a woeful ignorance of recent history. As a staffer on John Kerry's 2004 campaign, I still recall, with a mixture of pain followed by glee, that in early November, John Kerry was polling BELOW Al Sharpton in national polls. At least some of the people standing around the xerox machine were definitely copying their resumes! And yet barely two months later, Kerry won the Iowa primary, while Howard Dean came in a miserable third, putting an end to his campaign. If anything, my sense is that the electorate is in an even more volatile mood these days. If Sanders can demonstrate the ability to learn on the stump from his encounters with the BLM protestors, and whatever else is coming his way, he's got plenty of time left.

And while I'm beating what ought to be some of history's dead horses, "the scream" had nothing–repeat nothing–to do with Dean's political demise. His campaign was premised on his winning Iowa with the volunteers he raised on the internet, an army which Iowans, unfortunately for Dean, chose to see as an unwanted invasion. Dean's campaign was toast before he ever got on the stage.

Virginia says:

This link came to my FB feed via Michigan for Bernie Sanders via Michigan Women for Bernie Sanders.

Angeline says:

I got it from my friends group "Bernie Sanders 2016 – Ideas Welcome!" On FB, where it has 60-something likes. Lots of great groups about Bernie on FB these days! I love the pooling of resources and ideas his social media based campaigning has inspired so far!! I've certainly never been more involved in the process as I have been since reading up on and starting to follow him, so let's keep this flame Bern'n!

Susan says:

Found on:   Michigan Women for Bernie Sanders

Dick, That is why Sanders supporters–who would support him regardless of where he is in the polls, are not dissuaded by trailing Clinton. He is polling close in Iowa and is in a statistical tie in New Hampshire at present, and voters there often change their minds at the last minute. If he pulls off victories in Iowa and/or New Hampshire, that could quickly change the polls in subsequent states and in national polls.

1 2 3