Facebook Account Unavailable

In recent months the blog has increasingly become intertwined with my Facebook account with discussions of posts primarily taking place there as opposed to the blog. This morning when I tried to sign on to Facebook I got this message:

Account Unavailable

Your account is temporarily unavailable due to site maintenance. It should be available again within a few hours. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Doing a Google search for Facebook site maintenance and accounts being unavailable I found that this has been a common problem which many others have faced. Unfortunately some people report that it took several days before they were able to get to back onto their account so I can’t trust the claim of it being available within a few hours, especially as it has now already been a few hours.

Update:

Still unavailable. I see that some blogs and other sites are attributing this to the recent update in Facebook’s format which is being rolled out to different people at different times. As of when I used Facebook last night (technically early this morning) I still had the 0ld format. This might explain the problem today but from a Google search on the problem this has happened in the past. There appears to be larger clusters of complaints from back in October and again starting a few days ago, with some reports of the same problem from other people at other times.

For the most part people are reporting no success from attempts to contact Facebook. One person did post this response which they have received on line:

Thanks for your report. Some users have been experiencing difficulty logging into and using the site for several days. Specific symptoms of this issue include:

• Inability to log in due to a “Site Maintenance” error message
• Missing friends from the Friends page
• Errors when trying to access Inbox

Unfortunately, we do not have a specific date for when this issue will be resolved, but we are working to fix it as soon as possible. Please note that this is a temporary display issue and no content has been removed from your account. Although we are unable respond to every bug report individually, we are reading them. We appreciate your patience.

Thanks,

The Facebook Team

Update II: Back on Facebook with the new format present. Most likely this was caused by the conversion, so beware if you have not been switched over yet.

Forrest theMediaDude says:

» Facebook Account Unavailable Liberal Values http://bit.ly/dxOZ4V

Bankruptcy Attorney says:

» Facebook Account Unavailable Liberal Values http://bit.ly/cwIBHu

Stacy says:

yep I have the same problem too. Showed up afte the request to upgrade to the new facebook layout. But had had problems for a couple of days on farmville, identifying there was an issue and they were working on it.

Oh well.. it’s a social site and hopefully we’ll be able to connect with our friends soon. 🙂

Facebook seems to be coming back to normal. Even when it started working again on Monday I found that many people on Facebook were having problems seeing all the items posted by friends. By late Tuesday that seemed to be much better.

Richard says:

My site has been down all day starting this morning.  Very irritating as there is no specific information and no way to contact Facebook to see what is going on.  The new layout may be the issue but since I hate that anyway, it’s just my luck I guess.

I was suspecting that more people are down as I’m receiving many hits here today for Google searches for Facebook being unavailable.

The frustrating thing is that there is no way to know how long it will take. My page came back around 3 pm on Monday after going down early in the morning. Some people say it took a few days.

Christine Keen says:

My account became unavailable this morning, but I was one of the first to get the new facebook layout over a week ago. I to was having problems with apps for a couple of days, but recently they seemed to be resolved.
    I recieved the same email you posted and my son a similar one when he reported that my profile was unavailable to him.
    It seems to me that it is a larger issue that has been occurring for some time. I’m glad you got access backto your page. I am already in withdrawl.  🙂

Greg Harkins says:

Our company face book is up but my personal facebook is down and has been for several hours already

becca says:

I have the same problem! so frustrating…..PLEASE HELP.

Hopefully you won’t be off for long. It has been variable as to how long people have been off, but as they are not currently doing a major upgrade down time for Facebook glitches shouldn’t be as long now.

Jayme Myrtle says:

My account has just started that this morning. how long will it last? Im trying to keep in connact with a young man that has a rare type of cancer Im trying to make his dream come true and I cant do that cuz the only way i could get ahold of them was throught fb.

While it does happen, it is a rare thing for FB to be unavailable. Most likely FB will be around as long as you need it to keep in contact with the person you mentioned. However, just be be safe, it would be best to either exchange email addresses or to have contact on another social network.