CBS News has has released an instant poll on reaction to Barack Obama’s first State of the Union Address. Here are some of their highlights:
• 83% of speech watchers approve of the proposals the president made in his speech tonight. 17% Disapprove.
• 70% of speech watchers think Barack Obama shares the same priorities for the country as they do. 57% thought so before the speech.
• 59% of speech watchers think that Barack Obama has a clear plan for creating jobs. 40% thought so before the speech.
• 72% of speech watchers approve of Barack Obama’s plans for dealing with government spending. 28% Disapprove. .
• 56% of speech watchers think Barack Obama’s economic plans will reduce the budget deficit in the long run, and 71% think they will help ordinary Americans.
• Still, just 42% of speech watchers think that Barack Obama will be able to accomplish all the goals he set out in his speech tonight. 57% do not think he will be able to.
My comments on the speech were posted here.