South Carolina Lt. Governor Says Needy Children Are Like Stray Animals And Should Not Be Fed

I just cannot make any sense out of the conservative mind set. They draw a line in the sand politically to protect an unborn fetus but after they are born some Republicans do not believe poor children deserve food:

Lt. Gov. Andre Bauer has compared giving people government assistance to “feeding stray animals.”

Bauer, who is running for the Republican nomination for governor, made his remarks during a town hall meeting in Fountain Inn that included state lawmakers and about 115 residents.

“My grandmother was not a highly educated woman, but she told me as a small child to quit feeding stray animals. You know why? Because they breed. You’re facilitating the problem if you give an animal or a person ample food supply. They will reproduce, especially ones that don’t think too much further than that. And so what you’ve got to do is you’ve got to curtail that type of behavior. They don’t know any better,” Bauer said.

I just cannot understand this attitude, but then as a kid I would feed stray animals.

Wolf Revels says:

Alan Paradis says:

Please tell me he was misquoted

Just Me says:

I think he was, in a somewhat ham-fisted manner, making this argument:

“I am for doing good to the poor, but…I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. I observed…that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer.”
    — Benjamin Franklin

Matt Dean says:

RT @jstreveln: http://bit.ly/4S9r7N conservative proudly brags of mothers heartless and cruel views of the poor. #gopfamilyvaleus

Nikolai says:

While it is true the more you do for the less fortunate
    the less they do for themselves as it is human nature
    but DAMN couldn’t Bauer have been a little more tactful
    Unless he meant exactly what he said

Citizen K. says:

I don’t care if Ben Franklin did say it. No one is “easy in poverty.”

Anakerie says:

WTH? >> S. Carolina Lt. Governor Says Needy Children Are Like Stray Animals And Should Not Be Fed – http://liberalvaluesblog.com/?p=11935

Glenda D says:

Looks like he got all his grandmother’s warmth. I DO feed strays.

All he needs is a toothbrush moustache and some incinerator ovens and he could have his very own power party.

David A Morse says:

Conservatives are heartless inhuman monsters. He was not misquoted, he said what he meant and did not move to correct it. Worst of all, he was talking about the children of the poor. Kids are not responsible for their living conditions. Its like the person whose dog has puppies and the owner drowns the pups. Family values. my ass, conservatives are the ones with the values of stray animals. They only care about children of others before they are born.

Dan says:

Sad. Very Sad just shows that the rich are for the rich and
    forget the everybody else. Republican care only of
    themselves and the mighty dollar.

This does not mean that all rich share this person’s beliefs.

John says:

Since South Carolina is the “Jewel” of the South, I’m wondering why we haven’t let them secede from the rest of the country…which they have been wanting to do since the 1800’s……