Republicans: No Party of Einsteins

A few days ago I compared the extent of Republican belief in Birther conspiracies to the overall delusional beliefs of Republicans. Charles Blow looked at this problem beginning with nonsense coming from Republicans on the health care debate and extended it to an overall view of the party:

Trapped in their vacuum of ideas, too many Republicans continue to display an astounding ability to believe utter nonsense, even when faced with facts that contradict it.

A Daily Kos/Research 2000 poll released last Friday found that 28 percent of Republicans don’t believe that Barack Obama was born in the United States and another 30 percent are still “not sure.” That’s nearly 6 out of 10 Republicans refusing to accept a basic truth. Then again, this shouldn’t surprise me. According to a Gallup poll released last summer, 6 in 10 Republicans also said they thought that humans were created, in their present form, 10,000 years ago.

Let’s face it: This is no party of Einsteins. Really, it isn’t. A Pew poll last month found that only 6 percent of scientists said that they were Republicans.

Blow also chastised Democrats for failing to do more to lead the discussion and allowing the debate to be “hijacked by hooligans.”

Leslie Parsley says:

I’ve also been wondering when the Dems were going to step up to the plate. Helen Thomas even jided Gibbs about this very thing. Surely the Dems weren’t thinking  just ignore them and they will go away. Or, maybe, they think  these protesters will end up turning off mainstream America and there will be a backlash. If true, I hope it happens sooner than later – before someone carries a concealed weapon to a town hall meeting and uses it. Just reading the comments after news articles, posts and even videos is a real study in modern American anger, racism and crassness.

Eclectic Radical says:

Some other writers have covered this as well. I’ve tried to touch on it myself on more than one occasion. The Democratic Party is not geared toward winning a dirty political fight, even when one is forced upon them. They are grealty concerned with ‘rising above the fray.’ The illusion of bipartisanship to which the Democrats aspire is very dangerous. It led them to cooperate in some of the worst decision of the Bush Administration, something none of us should forget, and it has always prevented them from fighting back with the vigor necessary when attacked.

The Democrats are advocating a view of consensus governance in which the other side, whose policy has always been to force its own insurgent elements to heel or drive them out, has never shared. The Democrats attempt to create consensus between the conservative, moderates, and liberals of their own party and believe that it can be done with the GOP as well. The trouble is that the majority of the conservatives and moderates willing to seek consensus have already left the GOP and joined the Democrats.

Jerri A. Berry says:

Republicans: Not the Party of Einsteins http://liberalvaluesblog.com/?p=9590

Eclectic,

It depends upon what your priorities are in considering whether the Democrats should play the same kind of dirty games as the Republicans. If you are a Democrat who wants to win at all costs then maybe it makes sense to imitate Republican tactics.

As an independent I see it entirely differently. One of the issues I’m most concerned about is the harm done to democracy when voters are unable to decide upon the issues due to planned disinformation campaigns. In the last couple of elections I voted for the Democrats because there was a tremendous difference between the parties with respect to honesty. There are certainly examples of dishonesty from both parties in most political campaigns but the Republicans have greatly surpassed the Democrats in dishonesty. The primary difference is the manner in which the Republicans devise disinformation campaigns as their major strategy. If the Democrats start imitating the Republicans on this I will no longer have any reason to vote for the Democrats.

Leslie Parsley says:

“If the Democrats start imitating the Republicans on this . . . .”

I think you’re right and I wonder if one of the reasons the Democrats have been reluctant to come out too heavy handedly against these protests is exactly because they don’t want to appear to be imitating the Republicans. I could be wrong, but I also wonder if the Dems want to avoid any kind of claims of racism, which is so obvious in many of the signs and comments at the protests and on their websites. My next question is, are all these people actually Republicans or are they on the extreme lunatic fringe of the Republican Party?

Leslie,

“are all these people actually Republicans or are they on the extreme lunatic fringe of the Republican Party?”

Unfortunately there is little difference. The lunatic fringe has driven out most of the sane Republicans. Sane Republicans are more likely to identify themselves as independents or moderate Democrats today while the GOP has become dominated by a lunatic fringe. Look at how many of them, in recent polls, believe in creationism, believe all the lies surrounding the Iraq war, and believe Obama is a Muslim and not an American citizen.

Leslie Parsley says:

Yes, and I think these people are the same people who didn’t vote for Obama or who  just stayed home. Since he won by such a large majority, it gives me a small glimmer of hope that reason will prevail. And then there is John Boehner and his colleagues . . . .

Eclectic Radical says:

I’m a registered member of the Democratic Party, but I don’t really consider myself a Democrat. I know that makes very little sense, but I am essentially a Democrat because the lack of legitimate alternative choices. My father is a fiscally conservative, socially liberal Republican who voted for George Romney in the 1968 primary and Nixon in the general election and voted for Gerald Ford and John Anderson in subsequent Republican primaries and voted for Ford, Carter, and Anderson (when he ran as an independent in 1984) in that order in the subsequent general elections. My mother is a Rockefeller Republican who probably hasn’t voted for a Republican in a general election since Gerald Ford. I know they both voted for Clinton and that my father thought Clinton was a ‘better Republican’ than anyone in the Republican Party and they both voted for Obama, with my father having much the same view of Obama being a better Republican than the Republicans again.

I used to be much of the same stripe as my father, I was a Young Republican type as a teen (a bit more conservative than my father, perhaps) and as I have grown up my views have grown up as well. At least as I see it. I flirted with the Libertarian Party because my political views now are more anarcho-socialist than outright ‘liberal’, and I now consider myself a democratic socialist and a critical realist.

I less want to see the Democrats ‘win at all costs’ than I want to see the Republicans lose, because they deserve to lose for a variety of reasons. I believe the Democrats are their own worst enemy and that liberals and moderates have done more damage to liberalism than conservatives, through their own instincts toward political self-preservation. I’d like to see the Democrats grow a pair. Then I’d feel a little less dirty about being a member of the party.

I’ve considered registering as an independent, but I always come to the conclusion that there has to be someone to vote for Carol Mosley Braun or Dennis Kucinich in a Democratic primary.

how many says:

With all the media attention they get it is hard to tell eactly how many of these lunatic fringe conservatives there actually are?
    Have there been any polls or studies to actually say?  A percentage of republicans or of voters or of US citizens?  I think they are getting much more attention than they merit.

Mike's I.P. alter-ego says:

@how many- Sometimes I wonder myself if I’m a lunatic fringe, just conservative, or something else. Being I agree that Bush and company wasted way too much money, pro choice (in a manner of speaking), and found last night’s holler during the president’s speech very disrespectful. It makes me feel uneasy, unsure of myself and my believes, but then I’m conforted by Ron’s words: “….GOP has become dominated by a lunatic fringe. Look at how many of them, in recent polls, believe in creationism,…” Yep, I believe in creation and I can sleep well tonight knowing I haven’t lost my hold on being one of the lunatic fringe.