Cool Things To Put On An iPod For a Queen

090401_obama_queen_ipod_223

Barack Obama gave the Queen of England an iPod and a rare songbook signed by Richard Rodgers. Anna Post of the Emily Post Institute said, “For me, the iPod only works if he has some catchy reason why he gave it as a gift.” Perhaps the contents of the iPod made it catchy:

• Photos from the Queen’s 2007 White House State Visit
  • Photos from the Queen’s 2007 Jamestown, Va., Visit
  • Photos from the Queen’s 2007 Richmond, Va., Visit
  • Video from the Queen’s 1957 Jamestown Visit
  • Video from the Queen’s 2007 Jamestown Visit
  • Video from the Queen’s 2007 Richmond Visit
  • Photos from President Obama’s Inauguration
  • Audio of then-state senator Obama’s speech at the 2004 Democratic National Convention, and
  • Audio of President Obama 2009 Inauguration Address

Choosing the gift was easier for the Queen. She gave Obama a signed photo of herself and her husband in a silver frame–the same gift she gives everyone. That must really make the holidays easy for her.

The real question is why so much attention is being paid to this. Right wingers will take any opportunity to attack Obama, but his Republican predecessor wasn’t  so hot with respect to following protocol. At least Obama didn’t try to give her a massage as Bush did with Angela Merkel.

Eclectic Radical says:

As I read Jonah Goldberg’s thoughts on the event and the comments on many of the news articles, I can’t help but wince. It reads as if conservatives angry at all the heat that President Bush took for things that appeared less than intelligent to many of us are trying to somehow compound protocol gaffes into President Obama being ‘even dumber.’

Reading some of the comments I also can’t help but see some signs of racism in some of the postings. Whether these are Andrew Breitbart’s trolls or genuine postings will now trouble me horribly.

nomoreGOP says:

I couldn’t agree more on the “wince” factor… As much as we joke and laugh about the ignorance of some of these “Further Right Righties,” I don’t think this movement can just be laughed off as a few “radicals.” Their anger is VERY REAL and compounded exponentially by the allowance of Fox (among others) to air news that is not news, just propoganda for their party..

Sure, when the left-wing nut jobs start talking about 9/11 and how Bush “allowed” it to happen, as well as some of the more questionable government actions that we [us citizens] dont know the truth about, it might gain some traction with the main-stream portion of the party for a small amount of time.. Maybe even cause a little strife.. But it never even has a chance to completely dominate the Partys base.. This is where the Right steps in..

Here we are in an age where the majority of the active, party affiliated Republicans in Washington share some of the most radical and scary ideas about where our country should go, as well as a general disconnect from reality. Bible says pre-marital sex is bad.. Right wing makes Abstinence Policies that cost MILLIONS of dollars, yet we have the highest teen pregnancy rate right now, 2009, after 8 years of “stay the course” policies.. Bible says jesus is coming back and taking all the good christians up to heaven, so global warming doesnt matter, why make policies to help the environment or invest in other forms of energy when 1. the world is going to burn anyways, and 2. all of your buddies from the private sector that you used to work with are getting bloody rich because you have awarded no-bid contracts to them.. Just a few examples as this post could go on for ever..  This could prove to be very negative for the entire world,  not only the US Citizens. No body wins when Policy has been formed and implemented based on faith and religion and some good old fashoined discrimination…

People like Sarah Palin SHOULD NOT BE IN OFFICE.. Period.. She has WAY too much power, even as a Governer, to really do a lot of damage to the progess that our country has made.. I mean you could honestly take some of her transcripts, change the name from Palin to Mohammad, lets say, and there wouldn’t be a single person that would question if it was a “terrorist” that said it… The whole “If you arent with us, you are against us..” mantra is so immature and just plain dumb.. There is no understanding, no compromise, and NO COMMON SENSE..

Between her, Jindal, Joe the douchebag, Rummy, Cheney, Bush, Limbaugh, Hannity, Coulter, Beck…. to name a few…. we have an entire Domestic Terrorist Organization..  Given the platforms they perform on, the rhetoric they spew about over throwing the government (after less than 3 months).. They are out to undermine the success of your everyday, common american, for the greater good of their own selfish needs.. thats it.. unless you have given one of them (or their campaign) money or promised to do something they support, you are an enemy and must be destroyed by any means necessary..

And yet they not only get away with it.. THEY GET RICH DOING IT..  We are in a sad time folks.. The american dream has died and been replaced with american greed.

Not to sound too much like my previously mentioned “left-wing nut jobs” but here is something interesting to think about…

I am still having a tough time wrapping my head around how we [US] invaded a neutral country without the UN or basically anyones support.. We overthrew the government, destroyed the entire country (well any populated city with a working economy) with bombs and missles, disbanded the countries entire 500,000 person military, then when they protested that decision (because they actually wanted to HELP us get the real bad guys), we called them terrorists and “insurgents” and faught them too (so much for mission accomplished), we paid LARGE bounties (no questions asked) for people to turn in “terrorists” to whom when then sent to prisons all over the world to try and get information (that didnt exist most of the time) out of them with “advanced interrogation”, while never once giving that person any civil rights at all (these are the same civil rights and “freedom” that we are supposedly fighting to help the world get), we tortured and humilated (and killed) hunderds of thousands of iraqi’s… all in the name of freedom! As far as I am concerned, parts of the US Government should be classified as “terrorist” if we are going to define it they way we do now..

Wow.. that was a rant.. sorry guys..

Fritz says:

Yeah, the whining about the iPod for the Queen was pretty stupid.

On the other hand, giving Gordon Brown a box set of DVDs that Brown couldn’t even play in a DVD player for his home country was lame.

Eclectic Radical says:

Well, I consider myself an educated person (possibly smarter than President Obama)and /I/ would not have known about the DVD incompatibility issue either. So I am quite willing to accept that he didn’t either, though it was the job of someone in the protocol office to let him know.

I have to wonder how many of the conservatives nodding their heads and saying he is an idiot knew about the incompatibility issue, as a result. Embarassing, yes, but hardly idiotic.

Fritz says:

Seriously?  I have an all-region DVD player with PAL->NTSC conversion at home because I buy European DVDs  (and because I have no interest in letting the damn studios tell me when I will be allowed to buy a DVD).  A friend does because he is fanatic about Hong Kong action DVDs.  I thought this was common knowledge.

Eclectic Radical says:

Seriously. I have never had practical reason to ponder the compatibility of DVDs of various countries and my pursuit of self-education has tended to focus toward matters other than the technical. Were I buying a DVD for my friend in Israel, I would have made the same mistake that President Obama made with Prime Minister Brown. I certainly do not consider myself to be a stupid person.

It would surprise me very much if I were the only person who did not know simply because they had never had cause to think about it and were busy thinking about other things. Certainly, we can agree President Obama has had a great many things to think about. The mistake was unfortunate, but hardly indicative of stupidity or callowness of any kind.

Now, one can question why the protocol offices of both nations did not make sure he had the proper information before giving such a gift if one wishes… but it is very possible he was attempting to be spontaneously friendly.

Being into video equipment I was aware of the regional issues but I hardly consider this to be the biggest issue. I’m sure many people don’t know about this (but I would think the White House would have protocol people who would handle such issues). The complaints regarding the gifts to the Queen were even more ridiculous than the ones about the DVD’s.

cosanostradamus says:

How ’bout putting a Photoshopped picture of Dick & Dubya in leg irons at the Hague?

Bet sa majeste would like that.