George Will on Obama

The amazing thing about Barack Obama is the manner in which he is receiving praise from conservatives as well as liberals. George Will compared Obama to the two populist candidates, John Edwards and Mike Huckabee:

Barack Obama, who might be mercifully closing the Clinton parenthesis in presidential history, is refreshingly cerebral amid this recrudescence of the paranoid style in American politics. He is the un-Edwards and un-Huckabee — an adult aiming to reform the real world rather than an adolescent fantasizing mock-heroic “fights” against fictitious villains in a left-wing cartoon version of this country.

Robert Rouse says:

Obama is the first real voice of change and reason I have seen since the year I became a teenager back in 1968.

charrington says:

I wish I felt the same way about him, because we do need someone that is not full of shit. His voting record is really not what I like to see. He’s voted to Extend both the Patriot Act and the War in Iraq. I don’t see that as change at all. Frankly he’s not really saying anything that will truly make change in this country or that hasn’t been said for the last 40 years from all the other candidates.

It’s not the messages that are the problem it’s America. I think of Einstein’s definition of insanity “Doing the same things over and over and expecting a different result”. America fall’s for the same rhetoric again and again that is why nothing has changed in 40 years of politics. Obama isn’t saying anything I haven’t heard from anyone else in this race or for the last 40 years. There are probably only 2 candidates that are truly saying things that have not been talked about and need to be done to actually save this country from a sad fate.

I’m afraid I can’t take the claims very seriously of someone whose blog claims “Al-qaeda is a total and complete fabrication, never having existed at any time.”

battlebob says:

Ron,
    The road show comes to Michigan next week. Some intersting story lines:
    McCain and Paul are very popular in my area as Paul’s brother is a pastor at the biggest Lutheran church in the area.
    Mitt is the son of a former Michigan Governor.
    The Rudy G (the nations mayor) plays well here.
    Any idea how Dem support lines up?

battlebob says:

Actually David Paul is an assistant pastor

With Obama, Edwards, and Richardson not being on the ballot, the Michigan Democratic primary doesn’t mean much of anything.

For whatever it is worth, Romney has also been flooding television with ads. If he hadn’t lost in Iowa and New Hampshire I would have expected him to also win Michigan, but now that he has lost that momentum, who knows.

Paul’s popularity could appear exaggerated as his supporters make the most noise. The bulk of primary voters are not as firmly behind anyone and won’t be as noticeable, but will vote for anyone but Paul. The factor that might help Paul the most is that the Democratic primary is meaningless. I know some Democrats are planning to vote for Paul as a protest against the war and to screw up the Republican primary.

battlebob says:

I may not vote as it leaves Hillary.
    I can put not committed but tehre is no guarantee my vote will not go to HC.
    I may sit this one out.

I lost my vote. We got absentee ballots, and had planned to vote for Dodd if he remained in the race as being the only feasible alternative to Hillary who stayed on the ballot. However I didn’t expect him to remain in the race until Michigan. Once he announced he was dropping out the night of the Iowa caucus we filled in our absentee ballots by writing in Obama. I figured that a write in had little chance, but perhaps many others would do the same.

Shortly after we mailed in the ballots the newspapers started running stories saying that ballots with write-ins will be discarded.