Sally Field’s Censored Line at the Emmy Awards

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0Ftq9N4fzo]

Thanks to Think Progress for filling in the gap created by the censors at Fox during the Emmy Awards. As shown in the video above, Sally Field’s acceptance speech was cut short.

At tonight’s Emmy Awards show, the audience cheered Sally Field’s acceptance speech, which the recognized mothers of U.S. troops. “Surely this [award] belongs to all the mothers of the world,” she stated. “May they be seen, may their work be valued and raised. Especially to the mothers who stand with an open heart and wait. Wait for their children to come home from danger, from harm’s way, and from war. I am proud to be one of those women.”

Field then continued, “If mothers ruled the world, there would be no –” But the Fox Emmycast cut off her sound and pointed the camera away from the stage, silencing the rest of her sentence: “god-damned wars in the first place.”

Was this Sally Field or Norah Walker speaking?

Update: Tom Shales writes, ” If Fox censored Field for political reason, it would be an ugly first in the history of the Emmys.”  Tom O’Neil adds:

Backstage, in the press room later, Field told reporters, “I would have liked to have said more four-letter words up there!

“Oh, well. I’ve been there before!” Field added when asked what she thought of the gagging. “Good. I don’t care. I have no comment other than, ‘Oh, well.’ I said what I wanted to say. I wanted to pay homage to the mothers of the world. And I very, very seriously think that if mothers ruled the world we wouldn’t be sending our children off to be slaughtered.”

Anonymous says:

Shame on you Sally Field – I don’t think I’ll ever enjoy watching you perform any longer.

R M Bragg says:

Apparently she’s never heard of Golda Meir, Margaret Thatcher, Cleopatra VII, Boudicca, Zenobia of Palmyra, etc, etc, etc.

Glen says:

congratulations Sally! Your the best! How ridiculous that your innocent and truthful comment was bleeped, by bleeping you they raised more interest. Leave it to conservative Fox to bleep you….

R M Bragg,

She gives absolutely no indication of not having heard of these women, but you probably realize you are twisting what she said. She spoke of a hypothetical if mothers “ruled the world.” That’s different from an ocassional female head of state.

Glen,

Maybe this caused more interest but they must remain true to themselves and their role model. Pravda would have never let such a comment go on the air, so neither will Fox. Criticism of The Party cannot be allowed.

TheRightStuff says:

Its an atrocity there is no true freedom of speech in America as the Constitution intended. Fox should publicly apologize to Sally Field. Next Emmys should be on another network where educated, informed citizens speak their heart and mind without right wing censorship as seen on Fox.

Fuck that anonymous guy says:

Are you nuts, you anonymous guy? No wonder four thousands American lives gone in Iraq is merely piece of shit in those politician’s eyes…

Brett says:

Not to dispute Sally Field’s constitutional right to free speech, but to play devil’s advocate, perhaps the reason that Fox silenced Ms. Field’s line was because she said “god-damned” and not what she said afterward. Fox might not have wanted to have been involved in a scandal like NBC was when that station allowed the f-word to be aired at a similar awards ceremony.

Certainly, they could have just bleeped “god-damned” and let the rest air unsilenced. And I’m sure Fox did not want to offend the military complex that they feed off of, which would be opposed to such an anti-militarist statement. But it’s always important to consider the other side’s perspective, and that perhaps Fox was actually making a rash decision to simply cut “god-damn” from the broadcast and nothing else. Just playing devil’s advocate.

Brett,

The FCC ruled in 2004 that the use of “god-damned” on television is not profane so they could not justify their act as you did. Besides, as you said, if that was the motivation it would have been better to simply bleep out “god-damned” instead of cutting away.

rhodes says:

Typical of Fox. The night after Ron Paul won the Fox debates their website was changed to reflect that Paul had come in second behind Mitt Romney. Fox censors in many ways, including not giving voice to dissention.

Representatives of Freerepublic.com were blasting opponents of our illegal war as “communists.” Ron Paul a communist? I had been on their website before and when I logged on to counter their claim I discovered my posting privileges had been “revoked.” So much for the freedoms the right wing brings up when they are “defending” us through war.