Sunday in Semi-Rural Red

The following is a true story of what can happen on a beautiful, sunny, Sunday afternoon in a parking lot in semi-Rural Red.

Setting: Although we’re still in Ashcroft Country, this place isn’t quite as rural or as red as the town where we last hung our hat.

So, as usual, when headed to the grocery store, I wore one of my Kerry/Edwards or Boston Convention tees. Just because. @;-) Driving into the lot, I happened behind a minivan with a Kerry sticker I’d not seen before.

“Rednecks for Kerry: Real People Need Real Jobs!”

I followed the van and parked next to it. Got out of the jeep, knocked on the window, and had a rousing conversation with the 60ish couple inside the van.

We talked about Kerry. We talked about the 2000 & 2004 selections. We talked about the 2006 election. We talked about the 2008 election. We talked about Diebold. We talked about the torture bill. (And the folly of leaving the defination of what torture is up to Mr. Bush.) We talked about taking the pulse of the country this coming November. And we talked about our efforts to put Claire McCaskill in the Senate.

It was a good talk.

I went into the store. I came out of the store. I walked to my jeep.

I passed behind a truck with a battered Kerry/Edwards sticker. I went up to the truck, knocked on the window, and told the man inside that I liked his bumper sticker.
He said, “Oh yeah, my wife just couldn’t bring herself to take it off.”

So we chatted.

I got in the jeep. As I backed out, the man with the truck and his wife were loading their groceries and he was pointing to me. So I stopped, got out, and she and I chatted. She said she would have given anything to have gone to the convention. She said she couldn’t think of anything better than to be a Democrat and go to Boston and hear John Kerry and Ted Kennedy speak. I told her it was a memory for a lifetime. And I told her I loved that she still had her sticker on her car. She smiled.

Change is in the air. We are in charge of reality. We are.

mbk says:

kj, bravo! Change happens person by person, conversation by conversation. And we are on the rise.

Dave from Princeton says:

The reality based underground movement is alive and well in semi-Rural Red. 😉

kj says:

As the Hopi’s say:

“Gather yourselves!
    Banish the word struggle from your attitude and your vocabulary.
    All that you do now must be done in a sacred manner.
    And in celebration.
    “We are the ones we’ve been waiting for…”

kj says:

And yes, the underground reality-based movement is alive and well and on the rise. Finally.
    Ain’t it grand. @;-)

Democrafty says:

What a great post! I just linked to your story, and I applaud you for making contact with these people – they ARE trying to tell us something with their bumpers stickers.

kj says:

Hey, Democrafty! Thanks for the link, I attempted to post on your site, but not sure if the comment went through.

I agree with you, people ARE trying to tell us something. The fact that these people left their bumper stickers on this long says a LOT.

Democrafty says:

kj – yup, I got your comment, and was very happy to see that you stopped by! (I have to moderate everything, because we get insane amounts of spam.)

I’ve always been intrigued by the huge amount of JK stickers I see. So again, thanks for your post – I’m so glad the stories behind the stickers aren’t getting lost.

With all the spammers, the only way to run a blog is to have an effective spam filter. Otherwise you are either stuck letting a lot of spam through until you can moderate or limiting discussion due to having to approve all messages.

Fortunately the pair of spam filters I have up now are working quite well together, catching almost all spam and only ocassionally blocking a non-spam post in error.

kj says:

John Kerry’s blog open for comments:

kj says:

Democrafty,

“I’m so glad the stories behind the stickers aren’t getting lost.”

You said it, exactly. The stories are everything. The stories are us.

🙂

battlebob says:

I live in a rural area (Alto) near Grand Rapids, Michigan. Ron will verify this is as red as it gets. Besides being the center for the Dutch Reformed movement, having a slew of religious colleges, we are near the center of the Michigan KKK movement (Caledonia, Middleville).
    Yet, there are a ton of Kerry stickers still and a growing number of anti-Bush stickers.

My coworkers think global warming is a myth, think Gore is a joke and think energy conversation is a conversation topic.

But still, there are occasional cracks in the Repub strength.
    We have marches against the war; demonstrations in front of Vern Ehlers house; pretty active county dem activity.
    We ain’t dead yet.